Application for Council Flats
On this page:
Who can apply?
Any adult person with EU citizenship can apply for a council flat provided the provisions of the Housing Allocation Policy (in German) are met.
- Demand is very high; this is why there are waiting lists for most of the council flats.
- For the majority of flats no income limits apply; exception: residential buildings subsidised by the Province of Styria – for more information please contact the Büro der Wohnungsreferentin.
- There is no legal claim to Leoben council flats.
Office in charge
How to apply
- Submit the signed application form and the necessary documents via online form in person, by mail or as a scan by e-mail to the office in charge.
- You will be informed when your application has been received.
- You will be contacted when a suitable flat is available for you.
- Your application will be valid until the end of the year following the application.
- If you wish to renew it, an informal letter to the office in charge is sufficient; alternatively you may also make an appointment with Leoben City Hall.
- Completed and signed application
- Copy of your passport or certificate of citizenship
- Proof of your annual net income of the previous year
- If you have health issues: a medical certificate
- If you are pregnant: a copy of the Mutter-Kind-Pass pregnancy record
- If you are divorced: proof of separation
Changing from one council flat to another is only possible in exceptional cases, and the following conditions must be met in this case:
- The flat can generally only be changed after a tenancy of five years.
- The prerequisites for a change of flat are regular and timely payment of rent and proper conduct.
- The current flat must not be in disrepair or rundown.
- Possible motives for a change of flat are mainly family, social, economic and health reasons.
A new application for a council flat must be submitted.
Forms & regulations
Our recommendation: Use the online form. In order to complete digital processing, you will need an electronic signature (e.g., Handy-Signatur).
In German:Gemeindewohnungen: Ansuchen (Online) Gemeindewohnungen: Zuweisungsrichtlinien (pdf, 0.07 MB) Gemeindewohnungen: Beiblatt Geförderte Wohnungen (pdf, 0.01 MB)