Registration, Change of Registration and De-registration of Residence
1. Residence Registration
It is mandatory to register residency with the competent registration authority within three days of moving (taking possession).
How can I register?
- In person by the individual who is registering
- By a third party with both the original documents of the registering person and the third party’s own official photo ID
- Through the post with the original documents or legally notarised copies of these
Confirmation of registration:
Once you have registered your residence, you receive a confirmation of registration (“Bestätigung der Meldung”). This document is frequently referred to as the “Meldezettel” in everyday language.
When registering a residence in the municipal area of Leoben for the first time, you will be given a welcome bag as a small gift. It contains useful information on settling and living in Leoben. The bag will be given to you directly upon registration in the Leoben City Hall.
2. Required Documents
The following is required for the issuance of the certificate of registration (“Meldezettel”):
- Fully completed and signed residence registration form (“Meldezettel-Formular”) with the signature of the accommodation provider and the person who is obliged to register
(mit Unterschriften des Unterkunftgebers sowie der/des Meldepflichtigen)
- Official photo identification
- Birth certificate (links to information in German)
- If available: previous certificate of registration
- For foreign citizens: travel document
3. Change of Registration or De-registration
The following are considered changes of registration:
- Changes of personal data (citizenship, name, etc.) on your existing certificate of registration
- Changes in the type of residence, e.g. changing a secondary residence to the principal residence
- Registering a new principal residence; in this case, your former principal residence can be reclassified as a secondary residence at the same time
You are not obliged to de-register from your former residence. De-registration takes place automatically through registration of the new residence.
Registration and change of registration are performed without charge.
Please note that this form is available only in German: